Sauté diced vegetables first, when creating a sauce from scratch. These flavors (sweetness of carrot, warmth of onion, savory garlic, pancetta and clean-tasting celery) are the foundation of a great Italian sauce.
- SERVES: 4
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- 2 medium onions
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large stalks celery, washed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup DeLallo Pancetta, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mince the onion, carrot, celery and garlic finely.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the minced vegetables and saute, stirring every few moments to cook evenly.
- Cook the soffritto on low heat until it becomes translucent and gently simmering.
- A good soffritto takes a little practice to get right. Biggest Tip: Don't let your soffritto burn!