With everything you love about Caprese Salad in one fine presentation. This savory tart is made up of flaky pastry crust, Parmigiano-infused basil pesto, red ripe tomato slices and topped with fresh, torn mozzarella. The appeal of pizza with the fresh taste of Italian cuisine.
- SERVES: 6-8
- LEVEL: Easy Weeknight
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons DeLallo Basil Pesto
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup DeLallo Whole-Milk Ricotta
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Campari Tomatoes or medium-sized slicing tomatoes, slice
- DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheet to fit a 11 by 7-inch baking sheet. Gently fit pastry into sheet as best as you can. Poke sheet with a fork, all over.
- In a bowl, mix pesto and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Once well-combined, add ricotta, egg, a bit of salt and pepper. Stir until a smooth paste forms, then spread in an even layer over the pastry sheet.
- Arrange tomato slices on top, in rows, pressing lightly into the paste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush top of the tart with olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, tear mozzarella into pieces.
- Remove tart from the oven, then arrange torn mozzarella on top. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until mozzarella is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.