Fried Stuffed Olives - Olive Ascolane
Your favorite Mediterranean favorite: olives! Stuffed with veal, prosciutto and savory cheeses, then breaded and fried to a crisp, golden brown, olives get a new place on your appetizer platter.
- 6 ounces ground veal or ground lean pork meat
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces Prosciutto Crudo di Parma or San Daniele or mortadella
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 3 ounces Pecorino Romano, grated
- 4 ounces DeLallo Breadcrumbs
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspon lemon zest
- 2 pounds DeLallo Jumbo Sicilian Cracked Green Olives, pitted
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup DeLallo Extra Light Olive Oil or vegetable oil
Sauté the ground veal in a large skillet on medium-high heat with salt and pepper. Add white wine and allow it to evaporate before covering skillet. Cover and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or browned thoroughly.
Empty the pan into a large bowl and allow to cool. Add the prosciutto, or mortadella, the cheeses, breadcrumbs, nutmeg and two eggs. Mix well for a thick consistency. Stuff the olives with mixture. Once stuffed, dust olives in flour, then soak in the 2 remaining eggs. Lastly, roll them gently in breadcrumbs.
Heat 2 inches of olive oil in a large saucepan to fry. Once oil becomes hot, fry stuffed olives until golden brown. Make sure to cook both sides.
Once cooked, remove from oil and transfer to a paper-towel-lined dish