This recipe is a great way to serve baccalà on Christmas Eve to those guests that are not so wild about baccalà. The sweetness of the onions roasting with the potatoes and baccalà in olive oil, gives this dish a mild, pleasant fish flavor without being overpowering. We call this Baccalà for Beginners.
- SERVES: 8
- LEVEL: Roll Up Your Sleeves
- 1 1/4 pounds prepared baccalà
- 2 large potatoes, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Pinch of hot crushed pepper, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare and soak your baccalà at least 3 days prior.
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F. Rinse the cod for a last time; dry it well and cut into small pieces. In a shallow casserole dish, toss the potato rounds and onion slices with the butter and olive oil. Add the baccalà and gently toss. Season with crushed red and black peppers. Cover the casserole with foil and place into the oven.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add a bit of water, about 2 tablespoons, if needed, during cooking; continue to stir while cooking, but gently to avoid breaking the fish. Season with salt, if needed.
- Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.