When you add the classic flavor and texture of polenta to creamy, fresh mozzarella and savory, Italian pancetta–you get one delicious appetizer. With this stacker, it’s easy to gather the crowd and settle in for an upcoming meal.
- SERVES: 4-6
- LEVEL: Easy Weeknight
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for frying
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup DeLallo Instant Polenta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 pancetta, thinly sliced (about 8 to 10 slices)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients: milk, olive oil and egg. Slowly whisk in polenta, flour and salt to form a batter texture.
- Bake pancetta slices for about 10 minutes on a shallow baking sheet.
- Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large saucepan for frying. Once hot, add batter by tablespoons. Cook each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside on a paper-towel-lined dish.
- Layer polenta cakes with pancetta and mozzarella on a shallow baking sheet to soften cheese, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.