Sweet Italian Sausage Mac 'n Cheese
For your Shopping Cart:
This Italian-inspired Mac 'n Cheese is loaded up with crumbled, Italian sausage, earthy portobello mushrooms, our creamy-tomato Pomodoro Fresco Vodka Sauce, and the classic cheeses of Italy--Parmigiano, mozzarella & provolone. This hearty dish is the perfect cure for the cold-weather blues.
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Shells
- 1 pound DeLallo Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pint mushrooms of your choice (crimini, portobello…etc.), sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (25.25-ounce) jar DeLallo Pomodoro Fresco Creamy Vodka Pasta Sauce
- 1 pound shredded provolone
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, salt the water and cook pasta for an al dente texture.
In a saucepan, brown crumbled sausage. Drain cooked crumbles on paper towel lined plate. Return saucepan to medium-heat and add extra virgin olive oil, butter, garlic and mushrooms. Salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until mushrooms are lightly golden, about 5 minutes
Preheat oven broiler to high, or 500˚F.
Mix mushrooms with vodka sauce, until simmering. Then, stir in provolone and mozzarella until melted.
Combine sauce mixture with sausage and pasta. Transfer to a baking or casserole dish, 9- by 13-inch, or comparable. Top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and brown in oven under broiler for about 7 minutes or until top begins to brown.