With the accent of chocolate and coffee, this famous dessert can be enjoyed with or without the preceding plate of pasta. Besides being a creamy, rich follow-up, this sweet treat can be presented at any occasion. Impress your guests!
- 6 eggs (6 yolks, 3 whites)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 (7.06-ounce) package DeLallo Savoiardi Ladyfingers (24 cookies)
- 6 tablespoons DeLallo Instant Espresso dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum (optional)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 (13" x 9") glass baking dish
In a mixing bowl, whisk 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone and whisk until smooth and combined. Gently and slowly fold egg whites into the mascarpone mixture, careful to maintain their fluffy texture.
Pour coffee and rum into a shallow dish. Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the coffee, wetting both sides of cookie, but not soaking.
Arrange ladyfingers along the base of a shallow 13” x 9” glass dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture evenly on top, sprinkle with half of cocoa powder. Next, add another layer of ladyfingers. Top with remaining mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with remaining cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.