|With the accent of chocolate and coffee, this famous dessert can be enjoyed with or without the preceding plate of pasta. Besides being a creamy, rich follow-up, this sweet treat can be presented at any occasion. Impress your guests!|
With the accent of chocolate and coffee, this famous dessert can be enjoyed with or without the preceding plate of pasta. Besides being a creamy, rich follow-up, this sweet treat can be presented at any occasion. Impress your guests!
- 6 eggs (6 yolks, 3 whites)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 6 tablespoons DeLallo Instant Espresso Coffee Powder dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of hot water
- 1 ½ cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum (optional)
- 1 (7.06-ounce) package DeLallo Savoiardi Ladyfingers (24 cookies)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to whisk together 6 egg yolks and the sugar until thickened and pale yellow, about 5 minutes on a medium-high speed.
- Add the mascarpone to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until smooth and combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and creamy, but not airy like whipped cream.
- Gently fold in the egg whites. Be careful to maintain their fluffy texture.
- In a shallow bowl, stir the espresso powder into the hot water. Once dissolved, add the rum. Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the coffee to wet both sides of the cookie. Do not soak.
- To create the dessert, begin with a layer of ladyfingers along the base of an 8” x 8” baking dish. The number of ladyfingers needed depends on their size and the baking dish used.
- Next, evenly spread 1/3 of mascarpone mixture on top. Sprinkle with 1/3 of cocoa powder. Repeat the layering of ladyfingers, mascarpone and cocoa powder twice more.
- Once finished, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
- If you want to get fancy, finish with a layer of whipped cream piped on top and dust with more cocoa powder.