Italian Beans & Greens
A classic Italian dish—greens and beans. We use our meaty, tender Cannellini beans with savory escarole and sauté them together with bold garlic and red pepper flakes. Some like to add slices of sweet Italian sausage to the mix... we say go for it!
- 2 large bunches escarole, thick stems removed and chopped into 1-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can DeLallo Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- DeLallo Natural Coarse Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan with a lid, heat olive oil over a medium-high setting. Add smashed garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté until garlic becomes golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Discard cloves.
Stir in escarole and broth. Cover and cook together for about 15 minutes, until greens are tender and wilted.
Add beans to the pan, stirring to combine. Cook together for another 2-3 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 to 6