Italian Wedding Soup
The popular, cold-weather classic in our list of delicious, Italian soups. Though soup-making can be a process, there is nothing heartier than the reward.
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup DeLallo Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 6 ounces ground veal
- 3 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh greens, chopped (escarole, endive or spinach)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast meat (optional)*
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Acini di Pepe, cooked
- About 32 mini meatballs (recipe above or frozen mini meatballs)
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Roll meat mixture into small meatballs, using about 1 teaspoon of meat for each. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil on a medium-high setting. Add the celery, carrot and onions. Sauté until onions are tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Stir in greens and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add meatballs and chicken*. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs and Pecorino Romano with a fork. Slowly add the egg mixture to the hot soup, stirring continuously. Simmer for another minute. Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, ladle soup over cooked pasta in each bowl. Top with grated Romano.
Serves 8 to 10