Orecchiette with Peas, Pancetta & Cream
These "little ears" perfectly scoop mouthfuls of tender green peas and crispy pancetta in each bite. You can substitute ricotta in place of the cream if you want to lighten up on the calories.
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon Delallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound DeLallo Pancetta, cut 1/4-inch thick, then cubed into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt, then add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain in a colander.
Meanwhile, in a small pan heat the olive oil and garlic, add the pancetta when hot and cook until golden brown. Set aside in a dish.
In the same pan, melt the butter over medium heat, until foaming. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add in the chicken stock or water and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the pancetta and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the cream; bring to a low simmer and cook 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
Pour the cooked pasta into the saucepan. Mix well to coat the pasta evenly with sauce. Lastly, stir in both the peas and cheese. Transfer to a warm serving bowl to serve. If desired, finish with grated cheese on top.