Meat Manicotti with Béchamel & Gorgonzola
Topped with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce and stuffed with a savory meat filling, these manicotti are a hearty and delicious way to enjoy Italian cuisine at its finest. Serve with a fresh salad and a glass of bold, red wine.
- 1 (8-ounce) package DeLallo Manicotti
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal blend
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of hot milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 pound crumbled Gorgonzola
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add DeLallo Manicotti and cook according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
Sauté chopped vegetables in a large skillet for about 3 minutes in 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add meat and continue to sauté until meat is browned. Add 1/4 cup of white wine and sauté for another 3 minutes, until meat is cooked through.
Recipe for Béchamel *Note: Add Gorgonzola when simmering sauce.
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Stuff each manicotti carefully with the meat mixture using a small spoon. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Spread 1/3 of Béchamel on the bottom of the pan. Next, arrange manicotti rolls. Cover with remaining sauce, fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake for 20 minutes. Once cooked through, broil for 5 minutes.