Revive your recipe box with this simple, yet stunning pasta recipe. Orecchiette pasta stars alongside fresh mozzarella, spinach, grape tomatoes and chickpeas for a colorful soon-to-be classic ready to rock your Meatless Mondays, family pasta night or any night of the week.
- SERVES: 4-6
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Orecchiette Pasta
- 1/4 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 (14-ounce) can DeLallo Imported Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 16 ounces fresh spinach
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup hot pasta water for finishing sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer chickpeas to a paper-towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with the oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Discard the oil and wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Using the same pan, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the hot cooked pasta and reserved pasta water to the pan. Cook together over the medium heat to marry flavors, about 30 minutes. Add the chickpeas, mozzarella and basil. Toss to combine. Divide pasta into bowls or serve family-style.