supremely unique and delicious idea for bringing two of our favorite foods
together: pizza and baked pasta! Loaded up with a ton of “toppings” and
featuring our Organic Whole-Wheat Penne, this incredible comfort food is sure
to fill you up.|
View the original post at ASpicyPerspective.com.
Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti
A supremely unique and delicious idea for bringing two of our favorite foods together: pizza and baked pasta! Loaded up with a ton of “toppings” and featuring our Organic Whole-Wheat Penne, this incredible comfort food is sure to fill you up.
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (any color)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Organic Whole-Wheat Penne Rigate
- 3 ounces pepperoni slices, cut into strips
- 3.8 ounce can DeLallo Sliced Black Olives
- 25 ounce jar DeLallo Pomodoro Fresco Marinara Sauce (or Tomato Basil or Roasted Garlic Sauce)
- 2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Place the italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat and saute for 5 minutes to brown. Break it into pieces with a wooden spoon. Once mostly cooked, push the sausage to the edge of the skillet and add the chopped, onion, pepper, and garlic. Saute another 3-4 minutes. Then mix in the sausage and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add the DeLallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne to the pot and stir to separate. Cook the pasta for 5-6 minutes, until mostly cooked, but still firm. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pasta pot. Dump the drained pasta back into the pot and mix in the cooked sausage and veggies, along with the sliced pepperoni and olives. Mix well.
- Dump the pasta into a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve warm.