|Known for its thick crisp crust and rectangle shape, Detroit-Style Pizza is a no-nonsense pie that is sure to fill you up and not let you down. Ditch the delivery! This primo pizza features smoky-sweet roasted tomatoes, a generous supply of cheesiness… and it’s super simple to make with our DeLallo Italian Pizza Dough Kit.|
Detroit-Style Roasted Tomato Pizza
Known for its thick crisp crust and rectangle shape, Detroit-Style Pizza is a no-nonsense pie that is sure to fill you up and not let you down. Ditch the delivery! This primo pizza features smoky-sweet roasted tomatoes, a generous supply of cheesiness… and it’s super simple to make with our DeLallo Italian Pizza Dough Kit.
- 1 (17.6-ounce) DeLallo Pizza Dough Kit
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
- 8 ounces DeLallo San Marzano Style Crushed Tomatoes 28 oz.
- 8 ounces shredded provolone cheese
- 8 ounces shredded brick cheese
- 1 pint multi-colored grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- Freshly grated Saviola Imported Parmigiano Reggiano D.O.P. Wedge, for sprinkling
- Combine flour mix and yeast packet in a large mixing bowl with 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water. Stir with a fork until dough begins to form.
- Knead by hand for 3 minutes, or until dough is soft and smooth. Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (After this step, you can refrigerate for use within 1-3 days.)
- Preheat oven to 500˚F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13” x 9” high-sided cake pan. Be sure to use a pan that has sides 2 ½” to 3” tall.
- Press out the dough in the pan, careful to reach the sides and corners. Cover and let rise in a warm area for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the pizza, begin by layering evenly with shredded cheeses all the way to the corners. Drizzle the sauce over the cheese in 3 to 4 rows, making sure you don’t fully cover the entire pizza and cheese. Arrange tomatoes on top of the pizza. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough has puffed up, the cheese has melted and the sides and edges are lightly blackened and crispy.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, using a spatula to loosen the pizza from the pan. Allow pizza to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer pizza from the pan onto a cutting board and cut into squares to serve.