This light, flaky pastry is the perfect harmony of sweet and tart with nutty almonds, fresh pears and shredded coconut. While it keeps up with appearances, this dessert is easy to prepare, a grand accompaniment to our Modenacrem Balsamic Glaze.
- SERVES: 9
- LEVEL: Roll Up Your Sleeves
- 4 sheets fresh phyllo pastry dough
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 Bartlett pears
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- DeLallo Modenacrem Balsamic Glaze, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay out 1 filo dough sheet and fold in half. Spread with melted butter. Continue with the remaining 3 sheets, placing them on top of one another. Spread butter between each layer. Alternate the folded seam, so that both sides of your pastry are of even height. Finish last layer with melted butter and apricot jam.
- Peel, core and quarter pears. Cut them into thin slices and arrange on top of pastry so that they are overlapping down the center. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until pears are tender.
- Whisk egg white until it becomes frothy. Whisk in the sugar, almonds and coconut. Remove nuts and coconut with a slotted spoon and sprinkle atop tart.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Serve drizzled with Modenacrem Balsamic Glaze.