Spicy Sausage And Broccoli Rabe Orecchiette
This pasta dish has it all—crisp-tender broccoli rabe, spicy sausage crumbles, and sharp Granino Cheese (or Parmigiana Reggiano) cheese, all served alongside al dente orecchiette pasta.
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Orecchiette
- 3 bunches of broccoli rabe, stalks trimmed and quartered
- 4 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage
- 2 teaspoons DeLallo Fine Chopped Garlic in Water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh ground pepper
- Freshly grated DeLallo Imported Italian Granino Cheese Wedge (or Parmigiana Reggiano), optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook until crispy-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the broccoli rabe with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the water back to a boil and cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2-cup of hot pasta water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli rabe and toss to coat. Add 1/4-cup of the reserved pasta water and 1 tablespoon of oil and stir unti a creamy sauce forms.
- Ad the pasta and toss well. If the pasta seems dry, add the remaining pasta water. Remove the pan from heat, stir in the Parmigiana Reggiano and serve.