This rich, onion-based Genovese Rigatoni sauce comes from the southern Italian city of Naples. Although the sauce isn’t much more than onions and beef, the flavors develop into a thick, complex and rich sauce after several hours of cooking. Rigatoni is an ideal base for this sauce because it’s strong enough to hold the hearty sauce.
- SERVES: 4-6
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Rigatoni
- 4 tablespoon DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1/5 pounds beef chuck roast
- 4 pounds onions, chopped - yes, 4 pounds!
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
- Rub salt and pepper into beef roast. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-duty sauce pan over medium-high heat. Sear the beef on all sides, abou 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot and celery, and cook until the onions are transparent and slightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the meat and enough water to cover all the ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 hours.
- Once the sauce is done, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, remove the meat and let it rest on a serving platter.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Add cheese and stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with meat on the side.