Greek Mac and Cheese, a healthy twist on a comfort food classic made in a creamy cheese sauce with whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, spinach, olives and Feta cheese.
View the full recipe here!
- SERVES: 6 Servings
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces Delallo’s 100% Organic Whole-Wheat Elbow Pasta
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Fresh dill or parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add macaroni and boil until just under al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep casserole dish (roughly 8 ½ ” x 10 ½ ”) with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add red onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour over the top and stir, cooking 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the milk whisk until boiling.
- Remove from heat and add mozzarella and 1/3 of the feta. Stir until mostly melted.
- Add oregano, marjoram, pepper, diced tomatoes, olives and spinach. Stir to combine, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more as needed.
- Transfer everything to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining feta cheese.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top golden. Garnish with dill or parsley.