We love Alfredo so much that we decided to revamp the reputation of this calorie-dense cream sauce. We added asparagus, snap peas, arugula, peas and artichokes to create a veggie-loaded pasta dish, so that you get the best of both worlds—rich, silky Alfredo sauce with plenty of health benefits.
- SERVES: 4-6
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Organic Gemelli Pasta
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) jar DeLallo Marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained and halved
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons DeLallo Fine Chopped Garlic in Water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Add butter and cream to a large skillet. Simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the garlic, salt and pepper for one minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheeses and sour cream.
- Prepare 2 bowls with ice baths. Bringa medium pot of salt ed water to a boil. Cook asparagus in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Transfer to ice bath using a slotted spoon. Add sugar snap peas to the water and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to ice bath using a slotted spoon.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, asparagus, sugar snap peas, artichokes and sauce. Toss well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among plates and top with lemon zest and pine nuts.