|A Northern Italian classic, this risotto recipe features zesty Italian sausage, earthy mushrooms and the famously bitter green, kale. Cozy up with a hearty bowl and beat the winter freeze.|
Kale & Mushroom Risotto with Italian Sausage
A Northern Italian classic, this risotto recipe features zesty Italian sausage, earthy mushrooms and the famously bitter green, kale. Cozy up with a hearty bowl and beat the winter freeze.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces crumbled Italian sausage
- 6 ounces fresh wild mushrooms (your choice), stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped kale
- DeLallo Sea Salt Grinder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 large shallots or 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups DeLallo Risotto Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large skillet on a medium setting, heat the olive oil. Add sausage to the pan, breaking apart with a wooden spoon to cook evenly. Once browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes, stir in mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until they are tender and release their juices, about 4 minutes. Next, stir in kale and sauté until tender, about 4 more minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the stock in a wide saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low, keeping the stock at a steady simmer.
- In a wide heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shallots and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the rice, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the rice is coated in the butter and the kernels are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine to rice, and cook, stirring, until all the wine is absorbed. Ladle 3/4 cup of the hot stock into the rice, stirring constantly until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is just thick enough to leave a clear wake behind when you draw a line through the mixture, about 3 minutes. Continue adding stock in this manner (about 3/4 cup at a time), stirring constantly, until all the stock has been used up, the rice is mostly translucent but still opaque, the kernels are al dente in the center, and they are suspended in a liquid that resembles heavy cream a total of about 20 minutes.
- Remove the risotto from the heat, and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the cheese, and the reserved sausage, mushrooms and kale. Mix well and vigorously. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional cheese.