|Bringing together two favorites, these savory Italian meatballs feature roasted red peppers, Romano cheese and Italian Carnaroli rice for a stuffed-pepper-style recipe that you’re going to love.|
Stuffed Pepper Meatballs
Bringing together two favorites, these savory Italian meatballs feature roasted red peppers, Romano cheese and Italian Carnaroli rice for a stuffed-pepper-style recipe that you’re going to love.
- 1 cup DeLallo Carnaroli Rice (makes 3 cups cooked)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh chopped oregano
- 1 cup DeLallo Grated Romano
- 1 (12-ounce) jar DeLallo Roasted Red Peppers, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) jar DeLallo Mild Pepper Sauce or DeLallo Hot Pepper Sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To make the rice, first, rinse it thoroughly to remove the heavy starch. In a heavy-bottomed saucepot, bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, stir in the rice, cover and simmer until rice is al dente, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- To make the meatballs, combine rice, ground meats, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, oregano and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix evenly to combine. Scoop about 3-4 tablespoons of the meatball mixture into a ball and press 1-2 pepper pieces into the center. Seal meat tightly around peppers. Repeat with remaining meatball mixture and peppers.
- Place meatballs on baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently until lightly coated. Bake until the meatballs are browned and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat peppers in sauce until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange meatballs on a serving platter. Serve with a side of the sauce.
- Optional: Make your favorite cut of pasta and serve with meatballs and sauce.