If you aren’t sure what could be better than fried pizza… then you’ve got the right idea. This superstar recipe is a hit for all seasons, your new favorite snack, app and lunch idea. We promise. Now, go figure out how to get creative with those toppings!
Serve pizza fritta topped with colorful, flavorful ingredients and antipasti. Some of our favorite combinations:
- Sautéed Spinach with Onions + Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Chopped Tomatoes + Garlic + Torn Basil Leaves
- Ricotta + Sautéed Kale + Italian Sausage Crumbles
- Gorgonzola + Caramelized Onions + Balsamic Drizzle
- Crushed Tomatoes + Fresh Mozzarella + Fresh Basil
- Roasted Garlic Hummus + Feta Cheese + Calamata Olives
- SERVES: 6-8
- LEVEL: Easy Weeknight
- Combine flour mix and yeast packet in a large mixing bowl with 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water. Stir with a fork until dough begins to form.
- Knead by hand for 3 minutes, or until dough is soft and smooth. Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (After this step, you can refrigerate for use within 1-3 days.)
- Once dough has risen, divide into 8 small equal pieces. Flatten into rounds by hand on a well-floured surface. Gently stretch.
- To fry dough, pour enough oil into a deep frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F. Once oil is hot, fry dough rounds until they are golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Fry in batches. Remove cooked rounds with tongs or slotted spoon. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet or cooling rack.