Sometimes you have to treat yourself to something homemade, you know? Even if you aren’t a master baker, you can do better than the boring premade goodies at the store. The irresistible combination of sweet, warm vanilla and tangy-tart cherry are the cure to any sweet tooth.
- LEVEL: Super Simple
- ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks), softened at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ (10-ounce) jar DeLallo Sour Cherry Spread
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons DeLallo Sour Cherry Spread
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two 12 cup muffin pans with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. (Butter must be at room temperature, so it does not clump.) Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add flour mixture alternating with milk and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon cupcake mixture into cups, dividing evenly. Bake for 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in pans.
- Meanwhile, in a standing mixer with a wire whip, mix mascarpone, whipped cream and granulated sugar until soft.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until blended. Add lemon zest and cherry spread. Mix until smooth. Set in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cherry spread. Insert the tip through the top of the cupcakes to a depth of about 1 inch. Insert 1-2 teaspoons of filling into each cupcake.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes and serve.