|A savory baked dish featuring earthy truffled mushrooms, sweet green peas and creamy cheeses baked up with our favorite pastina, the small but mighty orzo.|
Baked Orzo with Mushrooms, Peas & Cheese
A savory baked dish featuring earthy truffled mushrooms, sweet green peas and creamy cheeses baked up with our favorite pastina, the small but mighty orzo.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Organic Whole-Wheat Orzo Pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease the baking dish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup DeLallo Plain Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup DeLallo Imported Italian Pecorino Romano Wedge
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Butter a (9 by 12-inch) baking pan.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the orzo and cook until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Pour the orzo and the broth into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the orzo in the large bowl. Stir in with cream, Fontina, mozzarella, peas, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs and Romano, sprinkle on top of the pasta. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.