There aren’t too many things better than the classic Carbonara... but this recipe with the addition of tender, earthy artichokes just might be it.
There aren’t too many things better than the classic Carbonara… but this recipe with the addition of tender, earthy artichokes just might be it. This artichoke carbonara adds a tangy twist to the classic dish.
- 1 egg, plus 2 additional egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups DeLallo Grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 pound pancetta, diced
- 1 (12-ounce) jar DeLallo Marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- Crushed red chili pepper
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Bucatini
- ½ teaspoon DeLallo Sea Salt Grinder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, beat eggs and cheese to combine. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic. Once the garlic becomes golden, remove from oil and discard. Add pancetta to the pan. Sauté pancetta until it becomes golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add artichokes to the pan. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with hot chili flakes to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instruction. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the pasta water to finish sauce.
- Add the hot pasta and the pancetta artichoke mixture with pan drippings to the serving bowl with the egg and cheese. Toss to coat. Allow the egg to cook with the heat of the pasta. Once combined, add about 1/4 cup of the reserved hot pasta water and toss. If the pasta appears too dry, add another splash of pasta water. Add in only a little at a time.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with cheese.