|A Southern Italian take on your favorite spicy stew, this must-make chili features zesty Italian sausage, Calabrian chilies, banana peppers, kidney beans and rich tomatoes. We assure you that this is a back-for-seconds kind of recipe.|
Spicy Passata Chili with Calabrian Peppers
A Southern Italian take on your favorite spicy stew, this must-make chili features zesty Italian sausage, Calabrian chilies, banana peppers, kidney beans and rich tomatoes. We assure you that this is a back-for-seconds kind of recipe.
- 2 tablespoons DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 DeLallo Calabrian Chili Peppers, chopped
- ½ (16-ounce) jar DeLallo Mild Banana Pepper Rings
- 2 tablespoons DeLallo Tomato Paste
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can DeLallo Light Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can DeLallo San Marzano-Style Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (24-ounce) jar DeLallo Passata Rustica Rich Tomato Purée
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-bottomed sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pot and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper and Calabrian peppers to the pot. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Stir in pepper rings and tomato paste. Add beans, tomatoes and purée to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a medium setting. Add salt, pepper and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let chili stand for 10 minutes. Serve topped with parsley.