Carbone means “coal” in Italian and Carbonara is translated as the “coal man’s wife.” Bucatini alla Carbonara refers to bucatini as the coal man’s wife would have prepared it. Traditionally the recipe calls only for pasta, guanciale, egg and cheese, but we love to add more flavor with some hot pepper and crushed garlic.
Looking for more Carbonara recipes?
Twisted Tomato Carbonara Pizza
Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
Carbonara Pasta with Charred Brussels Sprouts
Bucatini alla Carbonara
Carbone means "coal" in Italian and Carbonara is translated as the "coal man’s wife." Bucatini alla Carbonara refers to bucatini as the coal man’s wife would have prepared it. Traditionally the recipe calls only for pasta, guanciale, egg and cheese, but we love to add more flavor with some hot pepper and crushed garlic.
- 1 egg, plus 2 additional egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups DeLallo Grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 pound pancetta, diced
- Crushed chili pepper flakes
- 1 (1-pound) package DeLallo Bucatini
- DeLallo Sea Salt Grinder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, beat eggs and cheese to combine. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large saucepan. Once the garlic begins to turn golden, remove from the oil and discard. Add pancetta to the pan. Sauté pancetta until it becomes golden brown, about 6 minutes. Season with hot chili flakes to taste.
- Meanwhile bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instruction. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the pasta water to finish sauce.
- Combine hot pasta and pancetta with oil in serving bowl with the egg and cheese. Toss to coat and to gently cook the eggs with the heat of the pasta. Once combined, add about 1/4 cup of the reserved hot pasta water and toss. If the pasta appears too dry, add another splash of pasta water.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with additional cheese.
- Note: If you have concerns over the raw egg, you can always return the pasta back to the hot pan and cook over heat while stirring for 2 minutes.