|With squid, shrimp, scallops, octopus, and lobster, this recipe is a seafood lover’s dream. We pair a variety of seafood with earthy Italian black rice and a tangy vinaigrette for a delicious and unique main course.|
Italian Black Rice and Seafood Salad
With squid, shrimp, scallops, octopus, and lobster, this recipe is a seafood lover’s dream. We pair a variety of seafood with earthy Italian black rice and a tangy vinaigrette for a delicious and unique main course.
- 1 ½ cups DeLallo Italian Black Rice
- 2 ¾ plus 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ pound cleaned squid, whole tubes and tentacles
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ pound bay scallops
- ½ pound cleaned octopus
- ½ pound cooked lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup DeLallo Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon DeLallo Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Bring 6 cups water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squid and cook 3 minutes or until squid is just tender.
- Remove squid from pan with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Drain the water and cut squid into 1-inch pieces, placing them in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp to boiling water and cook 3 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from the pan with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Drain the water and add shrimp to the bowl with squid.
- Place a vegetable steamer in the saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Arrange scallops in the steamer and cook over simmering water 6 minutes or until done. Remove scallops from the pan with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Drain and add scallops to the bowl with squid and shrimp. Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove steamer from the saucepan. Add octopus to simmering water, cover and simmer 2 to 2 ½ hours or until fork-tender (add additional water if necessary to cover octopus).
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, garlic, parsley, chives, and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil to incorporate. Set aside or refrigerate.
- Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Drain and add to a medium saucepan along with 2 ¾ cups of water. Bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Cook rice with lid ajar for 25-30 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Once the octopus is done, remove and plunge into ice water. Drain and rub off skin and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add octopus, lobster, onion, and rice to squid mixture.
- Pour oil dressing onto seafood and rice mixture and toss to combine. Serve on plates with lemon wedges (optional).